DVRPC is the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the greater Philadelphia urban area, responsible for coordinating transportation planning throughout the nine-county region. The Office of Travel Trends and Forecasts and the Office of Travel Modeling maintain DVRPC’s regional travel simulation models and apply the models to a variety of highway and transit alternatives analysis to evaluate the impacts and benefits of regional policies and transportation investments. The intern will assist DVRPC’s engineers and planners with the data integration for model development and technical analysis for model application. This is an excellent opportunity to gain “hands on” computer modeling experience.
- Assist with data collection, cleaning, and processing
- Assist with the development, validation, and application of models
- Set-up and run models and post-processing tools
- QA/QC model output, and de-bugging
- Summarize model output and data for inclusion in written reports
- Perform related work as required
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and problem solving skills
- Hands-on experience with Python, R, or other programming languages
- Ability to work in small teams, under the direction of more senior staff
- Knowledge of travel demand forecasting software is desired
- Knowledge of GIS software is desired.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Access, SQL, or other database programs is desired
- Knowledge of traffic simulation software, such as VISSIM, is a bonus
This position requires a commitment of up to 37.5 hours per week. Compensation Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Students with Work-Study funding are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education and Training
Must have completed at least THREE YEARS of a college/university program or be enrolled in a master's program (preferred), or an equivalent combination of experience and training, plus substantial experience, interest, or involvement in transportation engineering and planning.
Forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
DVRPC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Full consideration will be given to all eligible, qualified applicants without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, domestic or sexual violence victim status, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition (including pregnancy), national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation; or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. Minority, female, and disabled applicants are encouraged to apply.