Regional Technical Committee
Note: Coffee will be available at 9:30 a.m. and a light lunch will be served following the meeting.
The ACP Building - 8th Floor
190 N. Independence Mall West
Philadelphia, PA 19106
For directions Call (215) 592-1800
Please Use Sixth Street Entrance
1. Call to Order – Chairman’s Comments
2. Deputy Planning Director’s Report
3. Public Comments on Agenda and Non-Agenda Items
4. Highlights of the Meeting of May 6, 2014
5. DVRPC Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) Actions
The dynamic nature of funding transportation improvements and the need to remain within financial constraint require amendments or modifications to the TIP. The following projects require formal TIP Amendments or Modifications this month for the FY2013 TIP for PA and the FY2014 TIP for NJ.
- PA13-80: High Friction Surfaces, (MPMS #102572), Various Counties – Add Proposed Project to the TIP
- PA13-81: I-476, Mid County Expressway Roadway Reconstruction, (MPMS #80479), Montgomery County – Increase Cost
- PA13-82: Approval of Six Resurfacing Projects, (Various MPMS#s), Various Counties – Add Proposed Projects to the TIP
- PA13-83: Bucks County Act 13 Local Bridges, (Various MPMS#s), Bucks County – Add Proposed New Projects to the TIP
6. Adoption of Memorandum of Understanding Among New Jersey Transit Corporation, The New Jersey Department of Transportation, The North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority, the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission and the South Jersey Transportation Planning Organization for Exchange of Program Funds for Federal Fiscal Years 2015 Through 2018
This document provides the general parameters of the exchange of federal MPO and state Transportation Trust Funds among New Jersey agencies. The Program Exchange for DVRPC entails exchanging State TTF funds for DVRPC STP-STU federal funds and will be in effect for federal and state fiscal years 2015 through 2018.
7. Fiscal Year 2015 Planning Work Program Amendments
To respond to the needs of member governments and agencies, work program changes and additions are brought to the RTC to permit the timely undertaking of technical activity.
a. Pennsylvania Coastal Zone Management Implementation Program and City of Philadelphia Municipal Parking Lot Green Stormwater Infrastructure Study
DVRPC will collect and analyze data to guide potential green stormwater infrastructure improvements on Philadelphia municipal parking lots. Staff is proposing an amendment to the FY2015 Planning Work Program by transferring this project and its budget of $50,000 in Comprehensive Planning funds already programmed under Environmental Planning (#15-44-070) to the PA Coastal Zone Management Implementation Program (#15-44-180).
b. Center City Bridges Reconstruction Analysis
DVRPC will conduct travel forecasts for the Center City bridges reconstruction work planned starting in December 2014 and extending through 2018. The analysis will provide inputs to City traffic management and SEPTA detour planning during the reconstruction.
c. New Jersey Local Concept Development
The purpose of this program is to provide federal funds directly to member subregions for the advancement of projects through the Concept Development (CD) phase. The CD Phase involves drafting a well-defined and well justified Purpose and Need Statement focusing on the primary transportation need to be addressed. This amendment will increase the amount of funding available for this program.
8. Regional Project Selections and Statewide Project Recommendations for the Pennsylvania Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP)
The PA TAP subcommittee developed selection criteria and used Decision Lens software to guide the selection process for regional and statewide projects. The committee reviewed 48 applications and selected regional projects using $7.5 M in available funds. The committee also selected projects to recommend to PennDOT
Central Office for statewide funding as part of PennDOT's statewide competition for TAP.
9. Approval of Congestion Management Process (CMP) Supplemental Commitment Table
One road capacity-adding project requires RTC action for its final design phase to advance as proposed in the draft FY2015-2018 TIP for Pennsylvania. The action is to approve the supplemental commitment table for the US 1 Bridges project.
10. Annual Self-Certification of the Regional Transportation Planning Process
Federal regulations require that Metropolitan Planning Organizations self- certify that the Regional Transportation Planning Process is carried out in conformance with applicable federal regulations. Staff will request an RTC recommendation for Board approval.
11. Election of Fiscal Year 2015 Regional Technical Committee Officers
The RTC nominating committee will present a slate of candidates for FY 2015.
12. Mapping of Municipal Adoption of Smart Growth Tools
Staff will present a recent effort to map which municipalities in our region have adopted specific smart growth tools. By providing useful local examples, DVRPC hopes to enable more municipalities to investigate their applicability. DVRPC will also be better able to track the progress of smart growth in the region.
13. SEPTA Strategic Business Plan (Fiscal Years 2015 through 2019)
SEPTA is in the midst of an update to its five-year Strategic Business Plan, which represents a framework for corporate planning across the organization. The plan for Fiscal Years 2010 through 2014 established a vision, mission, core values, and strategic objectives. The new plan for Fiscal Years 2015 through 2019 will add a balanced scorecard of key performance indicators for measuring and reporting plan outcomes. SEPTA will present on the new five- year plan’s overarching themes, performance indicators, and implementation strategies.
14. The Future of Scenario Planning
Staff recently completed a white paper that reviews past DVRPC scenario planning exercises, and identifies best practices. This paper advises to create and collaborate with a Futures Working Group consisting of regional stakeholder experts in the private, public, non-profit, and academic realms, which will identify future global drivers of change, and potential regional game changing projects. The working group’s findings, analysis, and recommendations will be summarized in a short, graphic publication, incorporated into the Choices & Voices online scenario application, and will help to shape the next update to the Long-Range Plan.
15. One Minute Reports
RTC Members and guests will be invited to provide updates on the activities of their agencies
16. Old Business and New Business
17. Meeting Adjournment
The next scheduled meeting of the RTC is July 8, 2014.
- Highlights of the May 6, 2014 RTC Meeting
- TIP Actions, June 2014
- Adoption of Memorandum of Understanding Among New Jersey Transit Corporation, The New Jersey Department of Transportation, The North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority, the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission and the South Jersey Transportation Planning Organization for Exchange of Program Funds for Federal Fiscal Years 2015 Through 2018
- Pennsylvania Coastal Zone Management Implementation Program and City of Philadelphia Municipal Parking Lot Green Stormwater Infrastructure Study
- Center City Bridges Reconstruction Analysis
- New Jersey Local Concept Development
- CMP Supplemental Commitment Table
- Resolution B-FY14-005
- Board highlights – May 2014