Job Recruitment #20-05
OPENING DATE: 11/30/2020
SALARY RANGE: High $50,000s to Low $60,000s (position level & salary commensurate with education & experience)
LOCATION: Information Technology
CLOSING DATE: When position is filled
AREAS OF CONSIDERATION: All sources
The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) is the Philadelphia region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization. We believe DVRPC is a place to work, learn, and create a career in a professional and stimulating environment that values diversity, innovation, and bringing your best self to work. If your background and experience match the following vacancy in the Information Technology Department, we would like to hear from you.
Data Coordination efforts at DVRPC focus on developing agency-wide solutions for a variety of our data needs as a metropolitan planning organization at the enterprise level. Currently, initiatives are underway to improve how data is collected, stored, maintained, analyzed, shared, and discovered at the Commission. Some of this work involves developing policies and strategies for how to implement and ensure best practices for data management. Work also involves understanding data problems then developing effective technical solutions in collaboration with staff across the agency. Ultimately, our goal is to fulfill DVRPC’s mission to facilitate data-driven decision-making, explore new ideas, and create best practices.
This position involves working closely with the Manager of Data Coordination, staff in DVRPC’s IT department, as well our planners, to help develop a variety of enterprise data solutions. The employee must have a passion for data analytics and management, and a fundamental understanding of how efficient data workflows are critical to maintaining and growing a healthy data environment. Work is performed in accordance with general agency policies and professional standards with results subject to review by the Manager, Data Coordination with additional input from the Director of Information Technology and the Data Innovation Team.
- Develop and lead initiatives to improve data quality and develop lifecycle maintenance approaches for planning datasets.
- Assist planning staff with data retrieval methods and foremost analyses to ensure data outputs are correct.
- Develop standards for documenting and publishing methodology.
- Assist the Manager of Data Coordination with internal data inventory efforts to understand and improve where data originates from in our systems, how it is mapped and utilized within our systems, and other data coordination activities.
- Create visualizations and communicate data analytics results for decision makers.
- Work closely with IT staff to create and then adhere to data structures, maintenance, and storage procedures.
- Partner with staff to gain a rich understanding of business processes, analytical and reporting needs and gaps.
- Continuously think of and suggest innovative ways to optimize and improve existing processes.
- Performs related work as required.
- Experience with enterprise-level data management practices.
- Experience with collecting, querying, and consuming data; understanding web API’s a plus.
- Experience performing data manipulation, analysis and visualizations; strong knowledge of mathematical principles required for data analyses a plus.
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of relational databases; experience with SQL a plus.
- Ability to listen to needs and translate into creative solutions.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to prioritize and stay organized.
- Excellent oral, written, and visual communication skills.
- Experience with technical writing a plus.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
Experience & Training
To classify as a Level TS II, a minimum of three years of progressively responsible professional experience as a data specialist or related field is required. Such experience may have been gained from a combination of experience and training. Training may have been gained through graduation from a four-year college or university with major course work in Management Information Systems, Information Science Technology, Data Science/Mathematics, or a related field. A Master's Degree or a full year of internship or cooperative education can be substituted for one year of experience.
Please forward cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
DVRPC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Full consideration will be given to all eligible, qualified applicants without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, domestic or sexual violence victim status, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition (including pregnancy), national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation; or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. Minority, female, and disabled applicants are encouraged to apply.
Employment is contingent upon ability to comply with Immigration and Naturalization Service regulations which states when offered employment "identity and right to work in the United States" must be produced.