Central Jersey Transportation Forum
Thursday, July 2, 2015
9:00 am - 11:30 am
Conference Center at Mercer
1200 Old Trenton Rd.
Princeton Junction, NJ
1. Welcome & Introductions (Chair Bill Neary & Dr. Diane Campbell, Mercer County Community College)
2. Forum Business
- Approve summary of February 27th Meeting – VOTE
- Transit Action Team (Chair Jack Kanarek) and Rt. 1 Regional Growth Strategy Action Team (Chair Tom Vigna) reports - VOTE on letter introducing Senate Safe Passage bill
- Brief updates on NJ Transportation Capitol Program (Jim Lewis, NJDOT), US 1 & US 206 Planned Projects Maps (Jesse Buerk, DVRPC)
3. Better Connecting Economic Development & Transportation Planning with a Focus on Transit
Gerry Scharfenberger, Director of NJ Office of Planning Advocacy (OPA) will lead a conversation about:
- How can we create better connections of transportation & economic development, especially for potential developers & prospective businesses looking to move into an area? For example, to communicate that developing a constrained site that has (or can readily have) transit may have short-term pain but long-term gain for everyone.
- What are developers & existing businesses looking for in terms of transportation? Could we all work together on an answer “no, there isn’t transit there currently but….” What other realistic short-term actions could the range of entities in the room do to promote a strong, sustainable Central Jersey economy?
- Examples of projects where OPA successfully helped to mitigate transportation issues for new/existing businesses
- As part of the Business Action Center (BAC), are there development trends that OPA has observed that would impact the broad Route 1 corridor either positively or negatively? What transportation advantages already exist & what modifications should be made to help the corridor benefit from these trends?
- What can the Forum do to help the draft State Strategic Plan to advance? – potential VOTE on letter
4. Creative Funding for Transit Projects & Lessons Learned
- Healthline/NJ Transit Route 655 (Tom Marchwinski or Mike Viscardi, NJ Transit, others)
- East-west transit on CR 571/potential NJ Transit Route 656 (Mike Viscardi)
- Z-Line/Amazon shuttle (Cheryl Kastrenakes, Greater Mercer Transportation Management Association)
5. What Municipalities Are Doing to Shape Development Patterns in Ways That Will Help Transit Succeed
- Franklin – Elizabeth Ave. project & others (Councilman Ted Chase)
- Hillsborough – Transit Ready Development District (Business Advocate Gene Strupinsky)
- Trenton – Innovative redevelopment and infill projects (Associate Planner Regine Saintilien)
- West Windsor – Train station project update & others (Mayor Shing-Fu Hsueh)
- Others, as time allows
6. Brief Updates and Dialogue
- Together North Jersey Activity Recap & Plan Overview (Zenobia Fields, NJTPA)
- Mercer County Incident Management Task Force update (Barry Seymour, DVRPC)
- Others, as time permits