Transportation and Community Development Initiative (TCDI)Transportation and Community Development Initiative (TCDI)
The Transportation and Community Development Initiative (TCDI) is an opportunity for the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) to support smart growth in the individual municipalities of the Delaware Valley through initiatives that implement the region’s long-range plan, Connections 2045 Plan for Greater Philadelphia. This initiative focuses on linking land use and transportation planning by:
- Supporting local planning projects that will lead to more residential, employment or commercial opportunities in areas designated for growth or redevelopment;
- Improving the overall character and quality of life within the region to retain and attract business and residents;
- Enhancing and utilizing the existing transportation infrastructure capacity to reduce demands on the region’s transportation network;
- Reducing congestion and improving the transportation system’s efficiency by promoting and encouraging the use of transit, bike, and pedestrian transportation modes;
- Building capacity in our older suburbs and neighborhoods;
- Reinforcing and implementing improvements in designated Centers; and;
- Protecting our environment through growth management and land preservation.
Pennsylvania and New Jersey, as well as a number of counties within the region, have current programs to support community development. TCDI seeks to support and leverage those programs, by providing funding to undertake early stage planning, analysis or design initiatives. TCDI funds projects that directly support and enhance the efficiency of the regional transportation system and implement the goals of Connections 2045.
Funding for the TCDI program comes from a combination of state transportation dollars and federal funds. Through fiscal years 2002-2017, DVRPC has distributed over $16 million to over 240 communities and counties throughout the region. TCDI projects are located in the downtowns, commercial centers, neighborhoods, and transit corridors within the region as well as neighborhoods in the Core Cities of Camden, Chester, Trenton, and Philadelphia. Many projects are multi-municipal and often cross jurisdictional boundaries. To view past TCDI recipients, please use the web map application.
2018 TCDI Schedule
The next TCDI round will be held in the Spring 2018. Below is the tentative schedule.
|March 8, 2018||DVRPC distributes TCDI Program Guide|
|March 13, 2018||Pre-application meeting at DVRPC|
|March 14, 2018||Application portal opens|
|April 20, 2018||Applications/Attachments due|
|May 20, 2018||Resolutions must be received|
|April-May 2018||Review by TCDI Review Committee(s)|
|June 28, 2018||DVRPC Board Meeting|
|TBD||Contract Meeting for Awardees|
|July 1, 2018||Funding available for reimbursement|
|December 30, 2018||RFP Process must be completed|
|June 30, 2020||Project tasks must be completed|
Improving One Community at a Time
Improving One Community at a Time is a publication of the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission which highlights our livability grant program, the Transportation and Community Development Initiative (TCDI). Each newsletter provides information on how DVRPC’s investment has impacted the region and highlights a specific TCDI funded projects.
DVRPC has completed two Program Evaluations of the TCDI Program. These reports provide an overview of the TCDI program and evaluate the administration, project selection, and funding investment throughout the region.
In November 2017, DVRPC convened previous and potential grant awardees, regional and state partners, and other planning practitioners to discuss the Transportation and Community Development Initiative (TCDI) municipal grant program.
- Agenda [0.1 MB pdf]
- Connections 2045 Goals [7.4 MB pdf]
- TCDI Best Practices
- Voorhees Township East - West Bikeway Connector [1.0 MB pdf]
- New Britain Borough Main Street Study [7.2 MB pdf]
- Phoenixville Borough [1.7 MB pdf]
- TCDI Application Tips [0.8 MB pdf]
- Implementing TOD
- Implementing TOD [3.8 MB pdf]
- Commercial Landscapes Planning Series [1.7 MB pdf]
- Economic Growth & Mobility Project (EGMP) Equitable Transportation [1.5 MB pdf]
- Transit Village Initiative [2.1 MB pdf]
- Whitemarsh Township [2.5 MB pdf]
- Municipal Energy
- Energy Management: How Can Municipalities Lead the Way? [1.1 MB pdf]
- Phoenixville Energy Management [2.3 MB pdf]