Things We All Can Do
You can encourage residents and workers in your municipality to help achieve a vision of a more sustainable, equitable, and innovative region by talking simple everyday steps to achieve the numerous goals laid out in the Connections 2040 Plan. Many of these actions will even save money and contribute to a healthier lifestyle.
In Your Home or Business:
- Save water by not letting the water run while you brush your teeth, switch to low-flow showerheads and low-flow toilets, and repair leaking faucets and toilets.
- Purchase LED or compact fluorescent light bulbs, energy-efficient appliances, and vehicles; and turn off lights and appliances when not in use.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated and turn your thermostat to 75 degrees or higher in the summer months and 68 degrees or lower in the winter months.
- Conduct an energy-efficient audit of your home or business and consider renewable energy sources.
- Compost food waste and recycle paper, metal, and plastics to reduce household waste.
- Reduce stormwater runoff and water use by planting native plants, installing rain barrels, and replacing pavement with pervious materials.
- Many electronics and appliances use a lot of power, even when they are not turned on. Unplug appliances and chargers when not in use. When replacing old electronics, look for products with low energy use in standby mode.
- Reduce polluting activities, such as driving, mowing your lawn, or filling your car's gas tank on days with poor air quality.
In Your Community:
- Take transit, walk, or bike to work and for short trips.
- Carpool or link automobile trips together and travel during off-peak times.
- Drive efficiently: avoid quick acceleration and sudden braking, don't leave your car idling, be sure to keep your tires inflated to the correct pressure, remove excess weight from your vehicle, maintain steady speeds, use cruise control and the highest gear, and keep your engine tuned.
- Support local food production by purchasing fresh food from local sources.
- Plant a tree or grow a garden.
- Volunteer to help clean up your street, local park, or open space.
- Take advantage of our region's extensive park and trail network by getting exercise and enjoying the outdoors.
- Support community-building, mixed -use developments when they are proposed in your neighborhood.
- Participate in public meetings, provide feedback on plans, and be active in your community.