Connections 2045 Long-Range Plan Update
Work is underway on the Connections 2045 update to Greater Philadelphia's long-range plan. The Connections 2045 Plan will:
- Identify Greater Philadelphia's vision for land use, the environment, economic development, and transportation.
- Develop strategies to achieve regional goals.
- Contain a fiscally-constrained list of region transportation investments.
- Use Performance-based planning to ensure efficient use of resources.
DVRPC worked with the public and stakeholders to develop a shared vision for the region. Over the Next 30 Years, Greater Philadelphia will:
A well-maintained, integrated multimodal transportation network that provides accessibility, reduces congestion and auto dependence, incorporates new technology, and moves the region toward zero roadway deaths.
Focus future development in vibrant, healthy, mixed-use livable communities with walkable main streets and downtowns that provide access to green space, live/work opportunities and a variety of affordable housing.
Sustain natural resources through the preservation of open space, better stormwater management, and improved air and water quality. Climate change will be addressed through mitigation and resiliency strategies, energy will be cleaner, and the region will be more energy-efficient.
Diversify and expand the economy, making it more competitive on the global stage with increased employment opportunities, business retention, entrepreneurialism, advanced manufacturing, and expansion of the region’s tech scene.
Give all children in the region, no matter where they live, access to good schools and an education that prepares them for the jobs of the future. Higher education institutions will be incubators of new technologies and business opportunities.
Be more equitable with a reduction in poverty, increased economic mobility, and racially and socioeconomically integrated communities.
Increase regional cooperation and government efficiency through more transparency, innovation, collaboration between business and government, and use of data and metrics, with a fairer and more equitable tax structure that will spur regional growth.
Forecasts and Indicators
Several background reports help to lay the groundwork for the Connections 2045 Long-Range Plan update.
Connections 2045: Greater Philadelphia Future Forces:
- Recognizes the future is increasingly uncertain due to a variety of emerging social, technological, economic, environmental and political trends.
- Worked with a multidisciplinary external stakeholder expert group to determine the most critical Future Forces in Greater Philadelphia, and analyzed how they may reshape the region.
- Identifies actions the region can take now to better prepare for a fast changing future.
- Contingent actions are specific to each Future Force.
- Universal actions are beneficial regardless of what the future brings.
Greater Philadelphia’s transportation network could reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase community livability through:
- Individual and governmental decision making and actions.
- More efficient use of space.
- Applying technology, pricing, and design.
Networking Transportation explores how to more seamlessly connect the region's transportation, which will provide more options in how to get around, reduce costs, and more safely and efficiently move people and goods within existing infrastructure. It analyzes:
- emerging digital transportation technologies and private digital transportation providers.
- four scenarios for the future of shared mobility.
- infrastructure, institutional, and regulatory actions to achieve the vision of an integrated, multimodal transportation network.